August 09, 2015 2 min read
Let's look at soap making cold process.
We make cold process goat milk soap. Let us share with you five quick tips to help you get started.
1. Online resources. Join soap making groups. One thing I've learned - soap makers help each other.
2. Use local resources. Buy oils from your local store. You want to experiment when you first start so begin with oils that are easy to locate. Once you catch the soap making buzz then start buying in bulk.
3. Get equipment just for soap, like stock pots. I never use soap making equipment for cooking food or anything else. You'll need goggles! I wear disposable gloves and a smock. I can't tell you how many shirts I've ruined. I use blenders. You don't have to but if you do make sure you use only glass blenders and make sure there is no plastic in the bottom of the blender under the blade. I can tell you from experience that the plastic under the blade will brake down, crack and you'll have to throw out a batch once broken plastic pieces get inside the soap.
4. You'll need sodium hydroxide, aka lye. You may still be able to get a small container at your local hardware store. If you don't see if ask if they can order it in for you.
5. Don't be afraid. You'll never start if the directions seem too scary. You'll get the hang of it. Just read, reach out to other soap makers, watch You Tube videos and get started!
We'll expand on cold process in other blog articles. Hope these five quick tips make you feel comfortable enough to get started. It's fun and addictive. Happy soaping!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Sign up for our newsletter to learn about new releases, exclusive deals and more!